| Early 19th Century English School|
The North Bank of the Thames at Blackfriars Bridge
Oil on canvas
18 x 20 inches.
Painted before 1824.
The view shows the first Blackfriars Bridge in the foreground through to Southwark Bridge and old London Bridge beyond. The first Blackfriars Bridge was opened in 1769 and remained in place until replaced by a temporary wooden bridge in 1863 and a new Venetian Gothic style bridge in 1869. Old London Bridge was not replaced until 1831 by a new stone bridge commenced in 1824 and built 100 feet upstream from the old bridge. Monument appears on the left.
Early 19th Century English School: