| English School, early 19th century|
The Lord Mayor's Barge at Hammersmith Bridge.
Oil on canvas
Painted between 1827 - 1850.
10 x 14 inches.
English, early 19th century, gilded frame.
This is a rare early view of the first suspension bridge over the River Thames, built by William Tierney Clarke between 1824 and 1827. In 1870 a crowd of nearly 12,000 people crowded onto the bridge to watch the university boat race. The alarm that this caused, added to the general weight of traffic, highlighted the need to replace the bridge. In 1884 a temporary bridge was put up while the replacement bridge was constructed.
This picture was painted between 1827, when Hammersmith Bridge was opened, and 1850 when the Lord Mayor's Barge was taken out of service.
English School, early 19th century: