|Sir Ernest George RA, RBA, RE (1839-1922)|
Ludgate Hill Bridge towards St Paul's, London.
Oil on board
13 x 9 inches.
English, early 20th century, frame.
Ludgate Hill Railway Bridge and Station opened in 1865 and the bridge was demolished in 1990 along with Holborn Viaduct.
Sir Ernest George RA, RBA, RE (1839-1922):
Born in London in 1839, Ernest George was an architect, landscape and architectural painter and etcher. He studied architecture from 1856 under Samuel Hewitt coupled with studies at the Royal Academy Schools 1857-58. He set up an architectural practice in 1861 with Thomas Vaughan whose death in 1869 forced George to find another partner, Harold Peto. The partnership designed houses in London for the Cadogan Estate in Kensington and Chelsea, some distinguished county houses and landmark buildings such as the Royal Academy of Music. It was also responsible for the current Southwark Bridge built in 1921. George served as president of the Royal Institute of British Architects from 1908 1910. He was knighted in 1912. As an artist Ernest George was elected a member of the Royal Academy, Royal Society of British Artists and Royal Society of Painter Etchers and Engravers and exhibited frequently at those societies, the Fine Art Society, Royal Hibernian Academy and elsewhere. His travels took him to Belgium, Holland, France, Germany and Italy where he painted.
Collections: Victoria and Albert Museum, Doncaster Art Gallery, Leeds City Art Gallery, Maidstone Museum, Ulster Museum.